Becoming Involved in USG:
The Legislative Branch of USG is comprised of the Senate. The Senate is the representative body of the Undergraduate Student Government. The Senate will consist of 51 Senators from:
|District/Department/College/Organization||No. of Senators|
|College of Liberal Arts *||2 Senators|
|College of Business *||2 Senators|
|College of Engineering * (Selected by Engineering Student Council)||2 Senators|
|College of Agriculture Sciences * (Selected by Agricultural Student Advisory Council)||2 Senators|
|College of Education and Human Services *||2 Senators|
|College of Science *||2 Senators|
|College of Applied Science and Arts *||2 Senators|
|College of Mass Communication and Media Arts *||2 Senators|
|Exploratory Students *||2 Senators|
|Inter-Greek Council ** (Selected by IGC)||2 Senators|
|International Student Council ** (Selected by ISC)||2 Senators|
|Black Affairs Council ** (Selected by BAC)||2 Senators|
|Hispanic Student Council ** (Selected by HSC)||2 Senators|
|Residence Hall Association *** (Selected by RHA)
|Sport Clubs *** (Selected by Sport Club Executive Board)||1 Senator|
|Veterans *** (Selected by Veterans' Organization)||1 Senator|
|Saluki Rainbow Network *** (Selected by SRN)||2 Senators|
|Non-Traditional Students *** (Selected by The Association of Non-Traditional Students)||1 Senator|
|Students with Disability ***||2 Senators|
|At-Large ****||10 Senators|
|Total Number of Senators||51|
*These Senate positions are selected by University Colleges or related departments.
**Theese Senate positions are selected by an umbrella organization which is listed in parentheses. If that organization does not select their Senator(s) by the 2nd USG meeting of the semester, then this position is open to petitioners. Those who successfully complete the petition and meet the Senator Qualifications and Restrictions maybe voted in by the USG Senate for a one semester term.
A Senate vacancy, which is not selected by an umbrella organization, may be filled by a qualified candidate who gathers fifty signatures from undergraduate students within the district of the vacancy.
***These senate positions are selected by related organization.
****These senate positions are open to anyone in the Undergraduate student body.
Note: If a Senate position is full, a candidate may still complete the petition and be placed on a waiting list in case a Senate position becomes vacant.
Senator Qualifications and Restrictions are:
- A full-time undergraduate student.
- Have and maintain a minimum of a 2.5 cumulative GPA.
- Remain in good standing with Student Rights & Responsibilities.
- Cannot have been impeached from the Undergraduate Student Government in the last semester.
- A Senator is entitled to one vote.
- A Senator will represent the undergraduate students from his/her district and will perform all duties required by the position.
- All Senators are required to attend at least two of the three retreats held each semester.
- Senators will be required to hold at least one constituency meeting in their respective representative districts each month. Senators must fill out the Constituency Report following each meeting and submit it to the Internal Affairs Committee by the end of the month to be placed on file. Any Senator who fails to meet this requirement will be subject to impeachment.
- A Senator is required to attend every USG Senate session unless the Senator has found a proxy to take their place and the proxy has been approved by the Vice President or the majority of the Senate. If the Senator cannot find a proxy or the proxy has not been approved, the Senator can be excused by majority consent of the Senate. An absence obtained in the above fashion shall be counted as excused.
- A Senator may appoint a proxy to attend on his/her behalf if the Senator is unable to attend a regularly scheduled Senate session. Proxies must be approved by the Vice President no later than 1:00 pm on the day of the meeting.
- Senators are only allowed two excused absences per semester.
- If a Senator has two total absences in a semester, the Senator will be subject to impeachment, unless given approval by the president.
- Senators are required to be on time to Senate meetings and to remain in attendance for the duration of said meetings. If a Senator is ten minutes or more late to a meeting, or excuses themselves early from the meeting, without prior approval from the USG Vice President, they will be counted as tardy. If a Senator has two tardies, it will be counted as an unexcused absence.
- Senators are required to attend meetings in business casual attire. This excludes jeans and t-shirts. Business casual is defined as blouses, skirts, dresses, slacks, or button-downs. A tardy will be issued for improper dress at the discretion of the USG Advisor.
- A Senator is expected to communicate efficiently and effectively with USG Executive Branch Members, Advisors, and their Constituents. Failure to do so may be grounds for a Bill of Impeachment.
- Each Senator will be required to complete 2 office hours per week. Office hours are defined as any business being conducted on behalf of USG, including committee meetings. Any Senator who misses four office hours in a semester will be subject to impeachment.
- Senators are required to serve on at least USG Committee, such as Student Funding Board, Internal Affairs Committee and/or External Affairs Committee.
- Failure to attend and/or participate in the Committee as indicated by the Committee Chairs, may be grounds for removal from the Committee and grounds for Impeachment.